Monday, January 26, 2015

Sculpey!

As aforementioned in my first blog post, I like crafting. I like all kinds of crafting. So when we moved to a town with a Walmart in the vicinity, I went straight for the craft aisle as soon as we were settled in the new house. Guess what? The first few times, I didn't see much. My mind was focused on the crafts that I had done before (duct tape crafts, painting, sewing,) and what I knew I liked (the duct tape crafts and the sewing). So about the tenth time we went (which took around three weeks), I looked...and saw something new. Sculpey Oven Bake clay. It wasn't modeling clay. It wasn't air drying clay. It was Oven Bake clay. I thought that was pretty neat. But guess what again? I didn't get any. I figured, "Why should I spend my money on clay that I don't know what to do with?" And so I waited. And we left.
A couple days later, I remember looking at pictures of dragons on Pinterest (I love dragons, did you know? I should do a post about them), and I saw a little picture of clay model dragons. They were comical-- not the big, fierce ones I imagine in my absent thoughts. They were little, colorful baby dragons with big eyes and a tiny marble between their legs.

I remember thinking, "Those are so cute!" And I remembered the clay I had seen at Walmart.
Well, as soon as we went back to Walmart I grabbed about four colors of Sculpey clay. They are only 95¢ apiece here in Arizona, but I don't know about elsewhere.

So when I got back home, I attempted to imitate the baby dragons I saw. I didn't do too well.


And after a while, I just gave up. I took a break. I was defeated. Whatever you prefer to call it.    :-P
But I continued later, and I've been doing things with clay for about three months now.   :-)


I also made several charms and bought some little chains to make necklaces.


O-rings and eye pins are completely necessary when it comes to clay charms. Thankfully,  I can get them here pretty cheap; about half the price that I could in previous towns we've lived in.
I do have a minor problem with my clay projects, though. No matter where I shape them, no matter how careful I am, the clay always gets dirty. Like, just little dust particles that fall in the air. They completely cover the little clay pieces. And so I have resorted to using paint markers to cover the tiny specks. I just paint over the clay after it's been baked. That usually finishes it up.   ;-)

Hopefully I'll be able to correct that problem soon. Maybe I need rubber gloves. Or, even better, a sterilized room. Like that's gonna happen.   ;-)

Leaving with a smile,
Mountain Gal

No comments:

Post a Comment