Monday, April 13, 2015

From Idaho to Nevada

Fast forward a bit to mid/late 2011, and we are moving yet again. I don't remember much about this move, which is why there is a small gap in the story, but I do remember the house we moved into. It was actually two houses on a plot of land just on the outskirts of Salmon. My great-great-great Aunt (we call her Tex) had decided to move nearer family. She is my dad's mother's aunt, and she's our oldest living relation on my dad's side. Hi, Aunt Tex!   :-)
She had her own little adventure moving from Seattle, Washington to Salmon, Idaho, and she purchased the property we lived on. The grounds included:
A large greenhouse,
A smaller, slightly underground greenhouse,
A main house,
A guest house with a carport around back,
A chicken coop complete with 13 chickens,
An orchard,
A large garden,
A fenced yard (which we called the play yard), and:
Extra land for livestock or other uses. We also had about three creeks surrounding the property. All in all, we had about 7 acres to run around on.   ;-)  My job was to take care of the chickens. I fed them, gathered the eggs, and got them into the routine of gathering in the coop for nightfall.
Most of our chickens were gradually accepting of this new routine, but there were some rebels. A rooster named Cocky, a rooster named Eddie, and a rooster named Chocolate. I guess that's the reason why Chocolate got dragged off by a fox.   ;-)

We lived in the Baker house for almost 18 months. Or very close to 1½ years, at least. There's not much more to say about Idaho. Eventually, in May 2012, my dad decided to follow the work. There was virtually nowhere in town to work that would have supported our family, and as I said before, we had moved away from the Ranch. And so, Dad looked into mining.
That was the beginning of my teenage life. We went on a road trip down to Round Mountain, Nevada to check it out, Dad liked the job, and we moved. Just like that. I'm sorry to be blunt, but after awhile, moving becomes so. I started to think that moving that much was normal and that I would never have friends. Because from the Pahsimeroi Ranch house to Round Mountain, I had none. My pen pals and letters were my company. Shout out to HM, Noodle, and AB! They were but a few keeping me sane. I'm not sure I can say the same today about HM, however.   :-D
The move to Nevada was long and tiresome. We didn't need to go house hunting this go around, because the mine that Dad started work for provided trailer homes for employees. Fancy they were not, but it was a roof over our heads and a floor under our feet. No matter that the floor was not on the ground.

Round Mountain got quite a bit of library visits while we lived there. And I am unsurprised. Did you know that it is the only four-star library in all of Nevada? I loved it there. It was a nice alternative to staying home in the trailer park without a yard to go and play in. The library was our favorite stop until we met a family in town in February of 2013. My dad worked with their dad, and their dad invited us over for dinner one night. That started a whole friendship between their girls and little boy and us. It was so nice to have real friends at last. In fact, they are taking the spotlight in the next post. Stay tuned!

1 comment: