Friday, February 20, 2015

The Move To Strange Lands

My dad looked into this possibility for more than a year. After the tornado, he kinda had enough of big storms and was tired of living in coordination with the weather's plans. And so, when my mom made friends with the wife of a rancher in Idaho, that sparked the thought of moving in my dad's brain. Turns out, the family in contact with us owned a grass fed beef business, and they were low on ranch hands. My dad qualified.   ;-)
So the decision was made, and though I don't remember much during the packing process, I do remember Idaho clearly. When we got to May, Idaho in April of 2008, our lives were completely changed. We had to live in our fifth-wheel at a trailer park for I-don't-know-how-long. But we survived. The park owners were very nice, and became friends with my parents straight away. There was also a play area on the park grounds, and so that brightened up our stay. But eventually my dad's boss suggested that we move into the house on their property, and so we did. That was a fun time for me, because they had seven girls and no brothers, which meant there were no awkward occasions. We played together almost daily, in the afternoons following the homeschooling schedule. I remember my favorite game.
The two girls closest to my age of nine liked movies. The younger sister owned a camera, and so the older sister and I would move around their dolls and act out scenarios. We even made teepees and campsites like in our life.   :-)
My dad worked on the range, we lived on the ranch. Until, a year later, we felt it was time to expand our boundaries. Fortunately, we found an old house at the end of the road across from the ranch. Unfortunately for me, though, that meant no more playdates.   :-\
We bought the house for a good price and moved in straight away. I liked it there. We had a huge garden, a front yard, a mountain view, and we were about five minutes away from my dad's work.
Life continued as usual. I remember one day my dad drove my sister and me to the ranch and we got permission to pick out a kitten for ourselves. I knew exactly what I wanted. A "boy calico kitty". I did find one, but alas, he ran off before I could catch him. My sister, meanwhile, was looking at a little heap of black fur in a cardboard box. She laughed, and it caught my attention. There was a little black kitten laying on top of his sister, napping. We both immediately fell in love and Sazy took the male, I took the female. She was small and weak, they were both fully black, and mine had pale green eyes. Sazy's had amber. I named my kitten Misty and her brother was named Moonshine.

Take into consideration that my sister was six at the time, and she took his name to mean "Shiny Moon".   ;-)

There are a lot of pieces to the Idaho puzzle. This post will contain the timeline of three living situations and the things that occurred during them.
Later in the same year as our kittens found their home, we visited the animal shelter for my brother's birthday and rescued a puppy.   :-)   He was one year at the time, a part German Shepherd, part Blue Heeler mix. I am so thankful that the name he was given at the shelter was in English. The lady that signed him over to us called him by a German name, and in my mind I was freaking out a bit. But when he didn't respond to it, she tried his other name. Trooper. That one stuck. And so, we gained a little Trooper around the premises.   :-)  He didn't grow much from when we first got him. Maybe in muscles. But not much in size. He was the perfect run-around-and-play-with dog, because he couldn't knock anyone over.   :-)


Until the next housing events take place, this post is through. I would also like to formally apologize for the delay in the story. My device was experiencing some technical difficulties for several days.   :-\  That being said, later!
Love,
Mountain Gal

6 comments:

  1. Nice post! Beware of our dogs they have knocked over a couple of the little kids once. Oh and there was the one time when one of our dogs broke his chain right in the middle when he got freaked out because of the fireworks some friends where setting of in our backyard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, no worries about your dogs. :-) I'm just glad you're talking as if you want me to visit! :-)

      Delete
    2. Of course i want you to come visit!

      Delete
  2. I added some pictures! It took awhile to find them and load them, but at least they are up now! :-)

    ReplyDelete